We Can Gain Strength from the Transatlantic Aviators’ Example for Everyday Acts of HeroismSzöveg: hungariandefence.com | 2012. július 18. 15:43
We all have to do our work in our own places within the limits of our possibilities, and if we dare to dream, we will be able to cope with every difficulty, Defence Minister Csaba Hende said at the memorial to the transatlantic aviators in Bicske on July 15.
On July 15 in the early evening hours, 81 years after the successful transatlantic flight by pilot György Endresz and navigator Sándor Magyar, a commemorative ceremony was held to pay tribute to the two heroes at the site of their crash landing in Bicske. Defence Minister Csaba Hende delivered a speech at the event.
György Endresz and Sándor Magyar flew across the Atlantic Ocean in July 1931. Their aircraft named “Justice for Hungary" took off from Harbour Grace airport, Newfoundland on July 15, 1931. Endresz and Magyar set a new record already in the first half of the route, as they reached the coasts of Europe in 13 hrs 50 mins, although their compass went wrong shortly after the take-off. They experienced problems with the fuel system above Győr, Hungary, then after flying another 70 kilometers they had an engine breakdown. They approached the ground by gliding, and made a successful crash landing at the edge of Felcsút, near Bicske in the afternoon of July 16. The two transatlantic aviators covered the distance of 5,770 kilometers in 25 hrs 20 mins – faster than anyone else before them – and they managed to beat another two world records on that day.
The mayors of the neighboring settlements were present at the commemorative event, which was also attended by Brig.-Gen. (Ret.) Bertalan Farkas, the first Hungarian cosmonaut and Péter Besenyei, world champion in aerobatics. The participants were entertained by the program of the Ethnic Dance Group of Szár and the Festival Wind Ensemble of Bicske. The ceremony finished with a wreath-laying by the memorial to the transatlantic aviators.
- Lézerrel a drónok ellen 2022. jan. 22.
- A jövő biztonsága 2022. jan. 22.
- A magyar kultúra napját ünnepelték Csepelen 2022. jan. 22.
- Kis EUFOR-határozó 2022. jan. 22.
- Védjük Magyarországot, kultúránkat, édes anyanyelvünket! 2022. jan. 22.
- Felszállt az új hattyú 2022. jan. 22.
- Katonai meteorológia 2022. jan. 22.
- Szarajevóban is megemlékeztek a doni katasztrófáról 2022. jan. 22.
- Ejtőernyős foglalkozás a honvéd középiskolában 2022. jan. 22.
- Kiállításmegnyitó a magyar kultúra napján 2022. jan. 22.