Commemoration in Camp Slim LinesSzöveg: Fourth rotation of the HDF KFOR contingent | 2011. június 15. 10:41
On May 17, 2011 in the morning hours, two troops were killed in a road accident in Afghanistan. The news came as a bolt from the blue, the personnel in the camp were standing in a state of shock. Then they started making calls to Hungary and abroad, hoping that the fallen soldiers were not their friends or acquaintances. As it turned out, unfortunately we could not “breathe a sigh of relief”, because Hungarian troops were involved in the accident.
On May 22 in the afternoon hours, we attended a requiem Mass to commemorate our fallen buddies. In that evening, in front of the Hungarian Tricolor flying on half-mast, we set up a board with the photos of our two dead comrades on it. We bent down to light some candles at their photos, and as we turned around, we could see a multitude of troops lined up in silence without any commands or pre-arranged plan.
Capt. Zsolt Bolla expressed our thoughts in his commemorative speech. “Let us remember our soldiers who were killed in action, but do not forget our friends with whom we served together" – we found these words fitting to convey our thoughts, since the ones we have lost were not only our comrades and colleagues but also our friends with whom we shared our memories and past.
It is indescribable to see our seasoned buddies weep as memories come flooding back and everyone is overcome with emotions. Regardless of our positions and ranks, we went in an orderly way to light some candles and to pay tribute in front of the two framed photos. It was only there that many of us fully realized that our comrades have passed away and that we cannot change that fact.
At the end of the commemoration, we were unable to go to our quarters, as complete silence fell over us and the camp.
Through this article, we would like to offer our deepest sympathies to the two soldiers’ families.
(The personnel of the fourth rotation of the HDF KFOR contingent)
- Élő hadtörténelem 2021. szept. 25.
- Mit ettek a Nagy Háború harcosai? 2021. szept. 25.
- Elsőre is nehezet 2021. szept. 25.
- „A huszárok olyan értéket képviselnek, amelyre emlékezni kell!” 2021. szept. 25.
- „A huszárokról legendák szálltak apáról fiúra” 2021. szept. 25.
- Szolnoki katonák a gulyásfesztiválon 2021. szept. 25.
- Katonai meteorológia 2021. szept. 25.
- Bizalom és együttműködés 2021. szept. 25.
- A logisztikus katonák védőszentjét ünnepelték 2021. szept. 25.
- Honvédfesztivál tizenkettedik alkalommal 2021. szept. 25.